Wednesday September 23rd, 2015 is Fall Prevention Awareness Day. ADL Solutions has partnered up with local organizations and businesses to bring awareness on fall prevention safety. There are some alarming statistics when it comes to falls, especially here in Arizona, and it is a big concern that not a lot of people are talking about. So let’s take a look!
- One out of every three older adults (those aged 65 or older) falls each year (nationwide statistic).
- In Arizona alone, falls were the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for all age groups, and the leading cause of injury-related death among individuals 65 years and older.
- In 2012 Arizona had 676 injury-related deaths, 11,605 inpatient hospitalizations, and 32,615 Emergency department visits.
Those are some pretty alarming numbers for Arizona alone, and mostly just from the Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area. To show how an even bigger problem it is from a fire department stand point.
- Year to date from January 2013 to June 2014: fire fall calls.
- Phoenix Fire received 15,710 fall calls
- And over 3,223 lift assist calls
These numbers are just for the Phoenix Fire Department alone. Not any of the other cities.
So at a glance falls are a major public health issue nationally, but also here in Phoenix AZ. ADL Solutions has always taken a preventive approach to safety and accessibility, especially related to commercial and residential settings. We are only one piece of the puzzle, but if we can help more people be safe and accessible in their home we can help prevent falls.
As a home and facility modification company that specializes in accessibility our goal and mission is to help keep people safe and accessible in their home setting, where ever that may be. Everything we do and provide is all about the individual or family we are working with and providing them with a variety of options and solutions that will meet their needs.
As a company we like to recognize and support community-based efforts that are in align with what we do. That is why we show our support for Fall Prevention Awareness Day. And not just for this one day but all year round with everything we do for the community.
Thank you for your support in National Fall Prevention Awareness Day here in Phoenix AZ with ADL Solutions.
** Statistics stated in this article were gathered from the CDC: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, and from Banner Health Hospitals.